Chronic stress in childhood increases chance of pelvic pain

Latest research and happenings
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Chronic stress in childhood increases chance of pelvic pain

Post by webslave »

Prog Mol Biol Transl Sci. 2015;131:509-35. doi: 10.1016/bs.pmbts.2014.11.009. Epub 2015 Feb 2.
Stress and chronic pelvic pain.
Pierce AN1, Christianson JA2.

Chronic pelvic pain is the number one reason that patients suffering from irritable bowel syndrome, interstitial cystitis/painful bladder syndrome, vulvodynia, or chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome seek medical attention. These syndromes generally have no associated pathology or identified underlying etiology, although dysfunction within the immune system, central nervous system, and peripheral nervous system has been identified. Due to the lack of pathology, chronic pelvic pain syndromes are often diagnosed by exclusion, and the high degree of comorbid symptomology among these and other functional pain disorders complicate identifying appropriate treatment strategies. Chronic stress exposure early in life has been shown to increase the likelihood of pelvic pain later in life, and acute stress exposure can induce or increase symptom severity. In this chapter, we describe the individual chronic pelvic pain syndromes and how stress influences the likelihood of diagnosis and the severity of symptoms experienced by patients.

Keywords: Corticotropin-releasing factor; Glucocorticoid; Hypothalamic–pituitary–adrenal axis; Mast cell; Neonatal maternal separation

PMID: 25744684
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
Tetro
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Chronic stress in childhood increases chance of pelvic pain

Post by Tetro »

Not surprising, I experienced quite a bit of childhood trauma and almost constant low to mid grade stress growing up. Some other researchers had already made this link several years back, one that I met personally in Boston. Also hi, this is my first post, well not technically, I was posting here when the forum first was built before it got attacked and my account was lost. Thank you webslave for your dedication with keeping others updated on news about pelvic pain.
Age:35 | Onset Age:19 | Symptoms: | Helped By: | Worsened By: | Other comments:
SoothingSpaces
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Post by SoothingSpaces »

You're in Boston! Me too. We need to start a support group for this condition....
Age:51 Onset Age: 50 Symptoms: golf ball sitting pain leg pain buttock pain low libido Helped By: lying down breathing walking standing up hot tubs valium Extra Strength Tylenol | Worsened By: Sitting at office driving stressing about it Cipro (anxiety) Other comments: this is the worst thing that has ever happened to me haa -- but I so want to get well :smile: started PT, taking QUrol
Tetro
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Tetro »

Soothing Spaces, actually I live in Eastern Virginia, I just went to Boston to meet a doctor Jordan Dimitrakoff (Dimitrakov) visiting err, Harvard I think it was in 2001, he was currently living in the eastern bloc if I remember correctly and I met him online, he did testing for IC when I met him there. As I was finishing up this post I looked him up again and found he's currently living in Boston now and working with Harvard medical center, very good doctor btw. I should make contact with him again since I'm still suffering from pelvic pain and issues.
Age:35 | Onset Age:19 | Symptoms: | Helped By: | Worsened By: | Other comments:
resianam

Post by resianam »

How can I make contact with this doctor? I visit Boston often for work anyway. Would be nice to be evaluated by someone with experience in this condition.
Age: 34 | Onset Age: 20s | Symptoms: Pelvic pain | Helped By: Abstinence | Worsened By: Sex | Other comments: