Latest research and happenings
Wolfcub
Experienced
Experienced

Tryptase-PAR2 axis in experimental autoimmune prostatitis

Post by Wolfcub »

Study abstract
http://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24726923

Could this receptor be a potential target for resolving symptoms of the CPPS/Chronic prostatitis type III in case the tryptase-PAR2 axis hypothesis is true? (at least for significant cases of CPPS/CP type III):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protease_a ... receptor_2
Age: 30 | Onset Age: 19| Symptoms: Urinary frequency, Urinary urgency, constant 24/7 sensation in the penis (in the tip mainly - burning/pressure/discomfort/"wetness"), Nocturia, discomfort and pressure in the pelvic region radiating to the abdomen and becoming severe as time passes since last urination (resolved in 2014 by myofascial release), Stream velocity is somewhat slow and prolonged with an average velocity of ~13cc/min (and max 18cc/min) found in flowmetry test when bladder is filled with 500cc at age 25 (I always feel like I need to press my abdomen to urinate, improved later on when using alpha blockers)| Helped By: especially MYOFASCIAL RELEASE (especially in the areas of hips and abdomen) - generally resolved my abdominal aches, but penile symptoms remained the same| Worsened By: Coffee and possibly some other food as well| Other comments: Quercetin and acupuncture helped me no more than a placebo effect. Age 25-26: Diagnosed with indirect inguinal hernia and medium hydrocele at the same side. After operation many of the acute symptoms disappeared, but the chronic urinary and pelvic symptoms remained much the same.
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Re: Tryptase-PAR2 axis in experimental autoimmune prostatiti

Post by webslave »

The autoimmune theory of prostatitis has never had much success.
https://www.ucpps.men/autoimmunity-and-chronic-prostatitis-CPPS

However, speculation continues ....
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
mfg0325

Re: Tryptase-PAR2 axis in experimental autoimmune prostatitis

Post by mfg0325 »

I was wondering if there isn't an autoimmune factor I'm curious as to why using cellcept, an immunosuppressant offered long lasting improvement in the study quoted below, I have researched and found out that this study was never repeated or received a lot of attention but from what I have read, rarely does an experiment or medication give results that last this long and it was only taken for a month and in a low dowse compared to patients who receive it for types of arthritis or kidney transplant. I wish I could contact Dr. Jordan Dimitrakov and ask if any of the patients sustained symptom improvement beyond 6 months but I know I'm asking for too much. Please excuse if I am all over the place here but I have also found a reported case of a patient who was diagnosed with CPPS and coincidentally underwent a kidney transplant before continuing his treatment for CPPS and reported complete resolution of symptoms postoperatively sustained at 13 month followup. I understand that CPPS is not a once size fits all when it comes to treatment or the cause of the symptoms but I find these studies compelling, and being that my CPPS was triggered by an infection I am considering along with my Rheumatologist giving immunosuppression a try. I know this isn't a light decision to make as there are many possible risks with this type of therapy, but upon reading about this study and the reported case in the literature I think its something that might be worth trying after weighing the risks and potential benefits.
One group of men received the drug (500 mg twice daily for 4 weeks) and one group received placebo. The researchers looked at whether the drug eased the men’s pain and looked for pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokines in the men’s ejaculate. One month after treatment, 85% of the men who got the drug said their pain was improved, compared with only 25% of the men who didn’t. Six months later, 65% of the men who got the drug reported sustained improvement compared with only 15% of those who did not. These were both significant differences. In addition, the levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines were decreased significantly in the mycophenolate compared with the placebo group. Side effects were mild and well-tolerated and included headache, transitory skin rash, and nausea.
Here is the link for the reported case, although probably many have read about it before.
[link to bad site removed]
Age:25 | Onset Age:25 | Symptoms: weakness sensation in the pelvic and genital area, low libido, pain with ejaculation, penile pain, hard flaccid | Helped By: | Worsened By: ejaculation, stress, sitting too long, alcohol| Other comments:
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

Jordan is here
https://connects.catalyst.harvard.edu/P ... rson/50029

You can try to contact him but he may not respond (there are all sorts of liability issues with responding to people on medical issues over the internet).

The second study, by Dr Shoskes, is well known, but Shoskes himself would be the last person to recommend immunosuppression as a treatment.

It's essentially killing a mosquito with a shotgun. Not practical, move on
HateCPPS
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Post by HateCPPS »

I had a very high mast cell tryptaste and did the study with cetrizine HCL and cromolyn sodium and had no improvement of symptoms. I also had to do a oral steroid treatment for another non-CPPS issue and didn't really feel much change either. Both MRI and the high mast cell counts seem to indicate inflammation but it didn't seem like either course made anything better for me unfortunately. Guess I need to keep trying to improve muscular stuff but PT and what-not does not seem to be helping very significantly...
Age: 25 | Onset Age: 21 | Symptoms: Pain in perineum area, bad ED, slower stream, loss of libido, | Helped By: Uroxatral, Heavy Doses of NSAIDs, Really Hot Baths/Sauna | Worsened By: Sex, Masturbation, Spicy Foods, biking, certain exercises, sudafed| Other comments: Mine started in a time after copious amounts of sex, I also held in ejaculation for a long long time after a sex break which may have contributed. Also went from protected to unprotected sex around this same time, but all tests show no bacteria. I do not have urgency issues.
mfg0325

Post by mfg0325 »

Webslave, I understand from your comment that immunosuppression is not a practical treatment for CPPS, but when everything else fails including physical Therapy and phytotherapy, have you had any members or read or received any reports about anyone who had long lasting improvement in symptoms with suppressing the immune system? I get the comparison " trying to kill a fly with a shotgun"  but this is truly debilitating, to the point of considering taking a risk and trying the immunosuppressors, it might end up sending this ailment into remission If i'm fortunate,  or it might not work and I just simply stop taking it. If you can explain more why you don't recommend it I would appreciate it, what are the potential complications of taking these medications? Other people with autoimmune diseases such as arthritis take these medications to improve their quality of life and relieve pain despite the side effects and risks. Pain relief and quality of life improvement is the same thing I am looking for and if others have been helped by this approach despite being unconventional, as long as I don't severely damage my body from it I am willing to try it.  I feel this pain/burning like sensation even on the soles of both feet, not just on the pelvic floor, and as I mentioned before, urethritis (infection) was the trigger. the Rheumo I see does not oppose and is willing to try this type of therapy/treatment. I tried contacting Dr. Jordan D to get more information on the study he held  but I did not not get a response.
Age:25 | Onset Age:25 | Symptoms: weakness sensation in the pelvic and genital area, low libido, pain with ejaculation, penile pain, hard flaccid | Helped By: | Worsened By: ejaculation, stress, sitting too long, alcohol| Other comments:
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

Put it this way: I tried it back in the 1990s and it only made me feel much worse. But if you can get a MD to agree, you can experiment with something like betamethasone (Celestone) for a week or so.
mfg0325

Post by mfg0325 »

Thanks for the reply. which medications did you try exactly and how were your symptoms worsened and did the worsening occur during or after the treatment, also how long did you take them? If the celestone which from what I read is type of steroid works, do you think it’d be worth trying a more aggressive suppressor if the MD agrees to it
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

I tried prednisone. I had better results with Celestone for CFS many years before, so I recommend that. My symptoms became worse in a vague sort of way, more pain, very bad mood and argumentative with wife. Took it for about a week I think (it was a long time ago).
mfg0325

Post by mfg0325 »

So assuming the experiment with suppression works, whether it's a steroid or something like cellcept and the side effects are well tolerated, would there be any weighty reasons to not continue along that avenue?
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

Yes, there are reasons why you'd only want to do this for a very short time. Immune suppression is not a trivial thing. Google Cushing's Syndrome for steroids, and for Cellcept, go here:
https://www.drugs.com/sfx/cellcept-side-effects.html

Plus it's very expensive, like $1000 per month in the US.
mfg0325

Post by mfg0325 »

I know I already asked this but, has anyone reported long-standing improvement from this, have you had any members actually try it or received any reports? I’m not really sure about trying it, I don’t want to end up seriously Ill. If I have to endure this and learn to cope with the stress and pain and find a way to fulfill my life I would prefer that over feeling better for a short period of time at the cost of ending up worse, like dead or seriously ill.

1000$ a month is indeed a lot of money, but it would be totally worth it if it works, Even 50% improvement would be a huge help if it lasted a good six months .
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

I know of nobody for whom immunosuppression was a viable and successful long-term cure. Nobody.

Stop looking for a quick and easy cure, a pill. Not going to happen.