Video on Self-Catheterization

Latest research and happenings
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Video on Self-Catheterization

Post by webslave »

Useful for "rescue instillations" for those with bladder-centred symptoms e.g viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7086

HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
optimistic
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Video on Self-Catheterization

Post by optimistic »

Webslave,

Thanks for posting this. (It turns out that Diane Newman, who made that video, was the first person to teach me bladder control through kegels. I live in Philly).

Most recently I have had to go through a tapered Clean Intermittent Catheterization program (CIC) as part of follow up on stricture dilation I had which was a small complication from my TURP.

In my case I had to CIC 2x per day for a month, then 1x per day for a month, then once every other day, etc. I am now down to once/week which I will do for at least a year. This is a standard protocol for retaining the benefits of a stricture dilation, in hope to ward off recurrence and required surgery.

The reason I am posting is that in this process I learned about a new kind of catheter which is greatly superior to the standard. It is called a "hydrophillic self-lubricating catheter. Here is an example:
http://www. exmed. net/p-1356-coloplast-speedi-cath-14-hydrophilic-coated-male-intermittent-catheter. aspx

Before you open the catheter from its package, you squeeze a packet of saline that bathes the catheter inside the packaging.

The benefit is that the catheter is much more slippery, for its entire length, than a standard one lubricated with surgilube. With a standard cath, the lube is mostly squeegeed off by the urethra as the cath goes in. The net effect of the hydrophilic catheter is that it goes in easier and the irritation of the urethra is much reduced, leading to a significant drop in UTIs. UTIs are terrible especially for those already having chronic pain.

I am not familiar with why men on this forum would need to catheterize themselves. But I would highly recommend the self-lube cath to those who need to do it with any regularity. They do cost more, so if you only have to do it every once in a while then the risk of UTI is lower and they probably wouldn't be needed.

For any of you who might need to self-cath but are scared, my experience is that if you only need to do it once a day or less, and you use the new style cath, it is really easy and not at all a big deal. A quick wipe with benedine pad, slide it in, let the pee come out, pull er out. At first it seems uncomfortable and weird, but you get used to it. When I was doing it twice a day, even with the improved cath, I was getting urethral bleeding which kind of freaked me out, but apparently is common.

hope that helps,
optimistic
Age: 55 | Onset Age: 40 | Symptoms: Right testicular pain (ache), penis and anus burning, rectal pain. Burning in or near prostate during sex involving digital prostate stimulation. Bladder neck dysfunction cured by TURP.| Helped By: Avoiding sexual activity or kegels | Worsened By: Sexual activity or kegels | Other comments: I can be pain free if I avoid sex for a week. It all started with acute epididymitus on right side 15 years ago, which lead to chronic bad aching pain in right testicle. UTI years later added the flavor of penis and anus burning.