Chicago PT recommendation?

Scammer alerts, reviews!
guy97
Experienced
Experienced

Chicago PT recommendation?

Post by guy97 »

My experience with my current western-Chicago physical therapist has been iffy (three months with zero pain improvement).

Does anyone have a recommendation for a different one who I might consider consulting, at least for an evaluation?
Age: 26 Onset Age: 23 (January 2011, UTI trigger) Symptoms: Chronic penile tip pain, burning urination, stinging with ejaculation. Helped By: W-A protocol, Elavil Worsened By: UrinationRecovery Status: 50% Location: Chicago
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Re: Chicago PT recommendation?

Post by webslave »

Bernadette Kamin at The Trigger Point Clinic in Park Ridge has had a good report here.
viewtopic.php?p=35836#p35836
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
robertpagen
Old Hand
Old Hand

Post by robertpagen »

Seems to me Rhonda would be the best. She is one of the PT's who started it all. DW thanks her in his book.
Age: 43 | Onset Age: 17 | Symptoms: previously: constant urgency, premature ejaculation, burning at tip of penis, pelvic ache current: semi annual flares. | Helped By: PT, yoga, stretch, keeping warm(long johns) boxer briefs, regular sleep routine | Worsened By: cystoscopy, antibiotics (fluoroquinolones) alcohol, coffee, stress, masturbation, cold
guy97
Experienced
Experienced

Post by guy97 »

Rhonda? Rhonda who?

EDIT: ah, Kotarinos. Yeah... only problem is that her clinic does not accept any insurance. I'd gladly pay absolutely anything to be rid of this, but is she really worth 5 to 10 times more than a PT who accepts insurance?

There must be other, more-reasonable therapists in the Chicago area. The woman Webslave mentioned, Bernadette Kamin, still works in the area, and would be within reach for me. And she accepts Blue Cross PPO, which is my plan.

EDIT 2: I found Karmin's website; it looks like she has her own clinic now: http://www.kaminpt.com/team-bios.php

If after a couple more months with this PT, I still feel like I'm getting nowhere, I'll see if my urologist will refer me to Karmin.
Age: 26 Onset Age: 23 (January 2011, UTI trigger) Symptoms: Chronic penile tip pain, burning urination, stinging with ejaculation. Helped By: W-A protocol, Elavil Worsened By: UrinationRecovery Status: 50% Location: Chicago
robertpagen
Old Hand
Old Hand

Post by robertpagen »

With this treatment, as with many things in life, there is a wide difference between competence and everyone else.
Age: 43 | Onset Age: 17 | Symptoms: previously: constant urgency, premature ejaculation, burning at tip of penis, pelvic ache current: semi annual flares. | Helped By: PT, yoga, stretch, keeping warm(long johns) boxer briefs, regular sleep routine | Worsened By: cystoscopy, antibiotics (fluoroquinolones) alcohol, coffee, stress, masturbation, cold
guy97
Experienced
Experienced

Post by guy97 »

Does the name Sheila Dugan mean anything to anyone?

My urologist has referred her to me. So far, her advice has been "take a crapload of gabapentin." That may or may not be helping; it's hard to tell. I have a follow up on Dec. 2.
elitynski
Old Hand
Old Hand

Post by elitynski »

Guy - 2 things:

1) I saw Sheila Dugan. She seems fairly competent and is part of the integrated chronic prostatitis / chronic pelvic pain syndrome program at Rush. I worked the entire program but it was not nearly as helpful as PT.

2) Regarding KOTARINOS insurance. True - they don't take insurance, but I paid out of pocket and then submitted my forms to the insurance agency and was reimbursed. The forms are already coded and bascially the only thing you need to do is mail them in.
Age: 49 | Onset Age: 43 | Symptoms: Some overactive bladder symptoms | Helped By: Hot Baths, relaxation, a little valium, exercise / weight loss | Worsened By: stress, possibly diet, possibly...(fill in the blank)
ChgoGuy
Old Hand
Old Hand

Post by ChgoGuy »

I've seen Dr. Dugan at Rush and I trust her.

I also do my PT at Kamin Physical Therapy in Park Ridge. I don't see Bernadette, although she did help out on a visit. I see Melissa Kolecke at Kamin PT, and I can say that I trust Melissa over every Dr. I have seen. Melissa as far as I'm concerned has always had my back, and really cares about pelvic pain issues in men and women. Melissa is who referred me to Dr. Dugan actually.
Age: 52 | Onset Age:49 (but I may have had warning signs 25 yrs earlier)| Symptoms: Pretty much all the usual suspects. Frequency, urgency, inability to always empty, burning and numbing uretheral, penile & perineum pain. Frequent urination at night.| Helped By: Internal PT. Myrbetriq helps but is by no means great. TENS to help sleep, and hand held massages of the lower back, hips and buttocks. Standing and physical labor help. Stretches and hot baths. Occasionally use gel iced pad on the perineum. Worsened By: Sitting (being sedentary), driving, sex, bowel movements, tight clothing and underwear. | Other comments: Currently trying L-Theanine