Dr. Weiss and Dr. Antolak

Scammer alerts, reviews!
cadyfatcat

Dr. Weiss and Dr. Antolak

Post by cadyfatcat »

I have read a post or two regarding Dr. Jerome Weiss on these boards. Has anyone else here been treated by him or have any other experiences, Also has anybody been treated by Dr. Stanley Antolak?
Age: 23 | Onset Age: 20 | Symptoms:pelvic floor tension, spasms with intercourse, frequency and urgency, general pelvic discomfort | Helped By: Physical Therapy, TCAs, Elmiron (i think), diazepam | Worsened By: Lots of food triggers, stress, siting for long periods, cold
Jay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Dr. Weiss and Dr. Antolak

Post by Jay »

Hi there,

I have been treated by neither of these doctors, but from what I've heard, Dr. Antolak is still riding the PNE train. He does suggest some conservative measures (which, if stories be true, involve nothing more proactive than avoiding sitting), but still seems to be big on decompression surgery if those fail. I've also read in the past that he is rather anti-PT/stretching. When I used to glance at the pudendal boards - a habit I have since broken, thankfully - even some of their posters found him to be all about the money.

Dr. Weiss used to refer for decompression surgery, but I'm told that he no longer does this due to so many patients returning in bad condition. He is a proponent of the muscular/trigger point approach, and in the past, he kept in-house therapists for treatment of that. I'm not sure if he currently does, as his prior PTs (Prendergast and Rummer?) started their own practice.

If I were determined to see one of the two (and I wouldn't be), I'd pick Weiss. Both of them have bad stories, but at least he's no longer pushing the surgery and grasps the value of PT.

If your case is a tough nut to crack, my personal advice for you is to find a respected multidisciplinary center where you can receive treatment on many fronts. This is what I've been doing since I started going to the University of Miami (where my physical therapist happens to be a professor). That way, a team of doctors - pain management, physical therapy, psychology, etc - can all treat you together at the same place. This is advantageous because it's less hassle/stress for you, and because the doctors can work together in treating you. Being able to discuss how pain management problem A might connect to physical therapy problem B, which in turn may be caused by anxiety issue C, is not a dialogue most outside medical professionals get to have.
I am not a physician. This is not medical advice. Consult your doctor!

Age: 26 Onset Age: 17 Symptoms: Shooting, nerve-like pains throughout the penis, which abruptly hit and leave. Testicular pain, perineum pain, burning/irritative urination, extended pain after ejaculation. Occasionally, some allodynia or ache in the coccyx/sacrum/thigh/buttocks/legs. Diagnosis: Pelvic floor dysfunction, degenerated lumbar disk, and mildly herniated lumbar disk. Helped By: Physical therapy, pain management doctor, hot baths, therapy pool, stretching regimen, breathing exercises, relaxation, distraction. Worsened By: Arousal/ejaculation (worst), constipation, panicking/obsessing, other triggers depend upon current symptoms. Tests/Prior Treatments: Too many antibiotics to count, multiple urine tests (all normal), testicular ultrasound (normal), bladder and renal ultrasound (normal), lumbar and pelvic MRI with and w/o contrast (revealed disk problems), Elavil 25mg (caused retention), Flomax 0.4mg.
cadyfatcat

Post by cadyfatcat »

Thanks for the advice Jay,

I have done some more research on the aforementioned doctors and have decided not to consider treatment from either. I actually just had a great week, one in which I made large bounds toward recovery despite it being very stressful. I tweaked my diet a bit - and the tightness in some of my leg and back muscles just vanished all of a sudden. I had had these tight spots for years, and then within a week period they were gone.
Age: 23 | Onset Age: 20 | Symptoms:pelvic floor tension, spasms with intercourse, frequency and urgency, general pelvic discomfort | Helped By: Physical Therapy, TCAs, Elmiron (i think), diazepam | Worsened By: Lots of food triggers, stress, siting for long periods, cold
Jay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post by Jay »

Hi there,

I'm no doctor, but I think you're making the right decision at this point. Literal entrapment (if it even exists) wouldn't simply disappear over the course of a week, but with typical CPPS, wax and wane is very common.

For what it's worth, I often have pain/skin irritation in my sacrum, buttocks, and legs (mostly front). It turned out that I had a lumbar disc degeneration and a mild herniation of the disc just below. Both of them would play directly into those areas, so it turns out that my pelvic pain is still muscular, but there's another cause for the rest!
I am not a physician. This is not medical advice. Consult your doctor!

Age: 26 Onset Age: 17 Symptoms: Shooting, nerve-like pains throughout the penis, which abruptly hit and leave. Testicular pain, perineum pain, burning/irritative urination, extended pain after ejaculation. Occasionally, some allodynia or ache in the coccyx/sacrum/thigh/buttocks/legs. Diagnosis: Pelvic floor dysfunction, degenerated lumbar disk, and mildly herniated lumbar disk. Helped By: Physical therapy, pain management doctor, hot baths, therapy pool, stretching regimen, breathing exercises, relaxation, distraction. Worsened By: Arousal/ejaculation (worst), constipation, panicking/obsessing, other triggers depend upon current symptoms. Tests/Prior Treatments: Too many antibiotics to count, multiple urine tests (all normal), testicular ultrasound (normal), bladder and renal ultrasound (normal), lumbar and pelvic MRI with and w/o contrast (revealed disk problems), Elavil 25mg (caused retention), Flomax 0.4mg.