Will surgery cure my UCPPS Prostatitis CPPS?

All about UCPPS, prostatitis, IC/BPS
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Will surgery cure my UCPPS Prostatitis CPPS?

Post by webslave »

Surgery is Not a Solution to UCPPS

Radical Prostatectomy — Prostate Removal

First of all, prostate removal surgery to cure pain that is in the nerves and muscles and only incidentally in the nerve endings in the bladder and/or prostate and/or urethra and/or testicles is medical malpractice, although there are some unethical doctors out there doing it because it’s profitable. Apart from the possible side effects (impotence, incontinence etc.) men who have had this operation to cure chronic prostatitis usually have as many or more symptoms after the operation as before!

The risks after a prostatectomy are similar to those of any major surgery. They include:

• Impotence
• Heart attack
• Stroke
• Blood clots in the legs
• Infection at the incision site
• Post-operative bleeding
• Death (rare)

Recovery time to normal activity averages 2-4 weeks. Common side effects of a radical prostatectomy include:

• Impotence (51 – 96% impotence rates have been shown)
• Incontinence

This topic is discussed in depth elsewhere on this forum. Don’t have your prostate removed because you’ve got CPPS. You’ll be making a terrible mistake.

A patient’s story:
On January 2009, I underwent Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy (LRP) surgery for chronic and intractable prostate pain. Like most long-term sufferers, I can’t remember the exact number of years the pain had lived inside me. But if somebody put a gun to my head, I would say at least 20 years. Making the decision to have my prostate removed wasn’t easy. I thought long and hard. If I could pinpoint the one deciding factor in the decision-making process, it was this, “If the LRP leaves me impotent, at least I won’t be in any pain. Or if the LRP leaves me in some way incontinent, at least I won’t be in any pain. ”So I made a deal with myself: I’ll get rid of the prostate, in exchange for a pain free life. Wrong. Sixteen months on, I still suffer chronic pain between my legs. What’s striking is the pain seems to originate from the site of the prostate, before radiating down each leg—sometimes as far as the knee. Also, I have been experiencing intermittent blood loss from the end of my penis, as well as poor urine flow. Last month, my urologist—who strongly advised against prostate removal—ordered a cystoscopy. A metal clip was found lying inside my bladder, close to the urethral join. My urologist also observed that the urethral join was “too tight”. I have since undergone corrective surgery, to remove the metal clip—a leftover from the original LRP. At the same time, the urologist dilated my urethra, which has improved urine flow markedly. My penis was made smaller by LRP. My girlfriend will confirm this. I noticed immediately the catheter was removed. I thought (naively), that normal size would return in due time. But it hasn’t. I phoned the hospital about 2 months after surgery and complained; one of the “special nurses” attached to the surgeon who carried out the LRP, told me, “one or two other men had also complained about penis shrinkage” .Oh really? Now you tell me. Since then, I have spoken to 3 other urologists, 2 of them prostate surgeons, and all three concur that penis shrinkage “does happen”–though they were careful to add, “But not in every patient”. One of the surgeons couldn’t look me in the eye when he told me, he had to look at the floor. Unfortunately, the pain continues unabated. I now take more pain-killers than pre-surgery. So for the men out there considering LRP, think very carefully before deciding on surgery. I know a patient who has recently returned from the US, whose condition has been made significantly worse after treatment. I know another patient who had an LRP 15 months ago, and is now suffering significant pain–this is after being pain-free for 12 months post LRP. He may need to have a second operation, like I did.
Other Surgical Procedures

Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP), water-induced thermotherapy (WIT), transurethral needle ablation of prostate (TUNA) and other procedures have not produced good results in recent studies with CP/CPPS patients. Avoid surgery.
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it