Multidisciplinary approach to prostatitis

Latest research and happenings
pundl

Multidisciplinary approach to prostatitis

Post by pundl »

I found a report of a meeting in Milano, Italy on Oct. 2018. Here https://www.pagepressjournals.org/index ... 2018.4.227 you can find the full pdf.

It's quite a lot of information but nothing really new. For me is interesting, that about 60% of CPPS/Prostatitis patients have intestinal disorders. The microbiota in the gut is a field of research for the future. A lot of information about antibiotics for bacterial prostatitis. In semen analysis more bacteria were found than in the 4 or 2 glass test (Meares-Stamey-test). So the culture of semen increases the number of patients classified as chronic bacterial prostatitis.
Age: 43 | Onset Age: 41 | Symptoms: pain in the perineum, pain in the penis | Helped By: sleeping, laying down, hot bath | Worsened By: sitting, long standing, full bladder, hours after ejaculation | Other comments:
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Re: Multidisciplinary approach to prostatitis

Post by webslave »

I was already aware of this paper. It's mostly a mess, an ugly hodgepodge that mixes up CPPS with acute and chronic bacterial prostatitis. The Italians in particular are still stuck on the debunked theory of infective CPPS. My advice to members is to ignore this.

Just in the first paragraph they say
The NIH-NIDDK classification based on the use of the microbiological 4glasses localization test or simplified 2-glasses test, is currently accepted worldwide.
But researchers have known for nearly 20 years that the Stamey test is useless and called for it to be abandoned.
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/494378

More examples from the first paragraph:
The UPOINT system identifies groups of clinicians with homogeneous clinical presentation
No, it identifies groups of PATIENTS. :facepalm: The paper is full of errors like this...

You'll also notice that the Italians are pushing Saw Palmetto (serenoa repens) and antibiotic use, even though this has been proved to be useless. :crazy:

Saw palmetto was extensively tested back in 2004 and found to have no effect
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/14665895

A few years ago, the Italians started claiming that CPPS was due to chlamydia. That eventually petered out and now nobody talks about it. They tend to march to their own tune.

In summary, I find it best to ignore anything coming out of Italy concerning CP/CPPS.

The information about intestinal microbiome is interesting and we've discussed that here before. Dr Shoskes has published a study on it.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8730

Also search the forum for "inulin".
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it