Laxative Linaclotide may inhibit cross-talk in pelvis

Latest research and happenings
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Laxative Linaclotide may inhibit cross-talk in pelvis

Post by webslave »

Expensive drug Linaclotide, derived from an enterotoxin produced by some strains of Escherichia coli that cause traveler’s diarrhea, reverses (in mice) colonic afferent hypersensitivity, reverses neuroplasticity-induced alterations in spinal circuitry, and alleviates chronic abdominal pain, and "intriguingly" reverses persistent bladder afferent hypersensitivity to mechanical and chemical stimuli and restores normal bladder voiding.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30282832
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
ChgoGuy
Old Hand
Old Hand

Re: Laxative Linaclotide may inhibit cross-talk in pelvis

Post by ChgoGuy »

Interesting! It doesn't say if you must take it long term, or short term though.
Age: 52 | Onset Age:49 (but I may have had warning signs 25 yrs earlier)| Symptoms: Pretty much all the usual suspects. Frequency, urgency, inability to always empty, burning and numbing uretheral, penile & perineum pain. Frequent urination at night.| Helped By: Internal PT. Myrbetriq helps but is by no means great. TENS to help sleep, and hand held massages of the lower back, hips and buttocks. Standing and physical labor help. Stretches and hot baths. Occasionally use gel iced pad on the perineum. Worsened By: Sitting (being sedentary), driving, sex, bowel movements, tight clothing and underwear. | Other comments: Currently trying L-Theanine
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

Full text
https://insight.jci.org/articles/view/121841

The complexity of these syndromes is why I discourage readers from trying to diagnose themselves or "understand" their conditions. It's seriously beyond the ability of most people to grasp, which explains why the simplistic bacterial infection theories dominated the scene for so long.

My challenge, and the challenge for all people who deal with patients who have pelvic pain conditions, is to make it seem easy to grasp. This is a daunting task, and a lot of the time I'm unsuccessful. :-|
ChgoGuy
Old Hand
Old Hand

Post by ChgoGuy »

I have to run out for therapy and to see the doctor today and take care of some business at work. I really could only scan thru it. My understanding is that the trial were only done on mice and not humans correct? Or did I miss read something or misinterpret it. I was told I had IBS about 22 yrs ago before I had this, but I also would get mini CPPS attacks that would last short periods of time back then, only to disappear for years. Each time lasted about a week or so. And I still swear with it now chronic, that my bowel movements have an effect on this. Especially looser water stools that not only burn coming out, but seam to irritate my bladder.

Go to run! But I'm wondering if taking this for IBS that I just gave up on treating,,my have a bonus in it for me.
Age: 52 | Onset Age:49 (but I may have had warning signs 25 yrs earlier)| Symptoms: Pretty much all the usual suspects. Frequency, urgency, inability to always empty, burning and numbing uretheral, penile & perineum pain. Frequent urination at night.| Helped By: Internal PT. Myrbetriq helps but is by no means great. TENS to help sleep, and hand held massages of the lower back, hips and buttocks. Standing and physical labor help. Stretches and hot baths. Occasionally use gel iced pad on the perineum. Worsened By: Sitting (being sedentary), driving, sex, bowel movements, tight clothing and underwear. | Other comments: Currently trying L-Theanine
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

Yes, murine only at this stage, and drug very expensive, so not many people can afford to try it.
ChgoGuy
Old Hand
Old Hand

Post by ChgoGuy »

webslave wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:19 pm Yes, murine only at this stage, and drug very expensive, so not many people can afford to try it.
I searched the drugs allowed with my insurance, and Linzess is definitely on the list of drugs I can get, however 2 things: 1) Being Open Enrollment, that list will probably change come Jan. 1st 2019. Not to say that it will definitely get removed. 2) I would have to figure a way to justify using it for IBS, since I haven't used drugs for it in a long time. But - perhaps I could use the excuse that all these other drugs for CPPS are causing constipation. I may even take a another shot at Gabapentin again in higher dosages in the future. That will definitely bind me up. I'll keep that on the back burner for now.

Thanks for posting this Webslave. I don't know where you find the time to find this stuff, just to give that information to us, but I continue to appreciate everything you do.
ppp
Experienced
Experienced

Post by ppp »

When it says reverses neuroplasticity that scares me, as someone trying to recover from concussion... Obviously I am ignorant about what it means in this context ... Are we talking about the same neuroplasticity?
Age: 33| Onset Age: 24 | Symptoms: dull ache in pelvic area, tension, feeling the need to urinate, frequency, dribbling after urination, ED symptoms started 6 moths after the onset wrecking my life since, abdominal tension, tension in my thighs. | Helped By: stretching/massage , benzos | Worsened By: Mainly sex, but also sitting and anxiety| Other comments: I have seen periods of substantially less flare-ups, but now I am at a steady state where it comes back almost always after sex.
ChgoGuy
Old Hand
Old Hand

Post by ChgoGuy »

Your brain and how it's wired plays a big part in this. So I doubt neuroplasticity would apply to just how the brain may function after a concussion. That's the way I see it anyway.