Dynamic Contraction Technique DCT Therapy thread

Scammer alerts, reviews!
ChgoGuy
Old Hand
Old Hand

Dynamic Contraction Technique DCT Therapy thread

Post by ChgoGuy »

eltenso wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:20 pm
The paradoxical relaxation does not work for me, or any other method of relaxation, for that matter. Actually, I believe that my inability to relax is a the bottom of this disorder... I purchased the DCT course for Pelvic Floor dysfunction, but I gave up pretty soon. It is a really demanding regimen of exercises, and the fact that they don't consider trigger points seems iffy to me.
If I may ask, how long were you doing DCT before you gave up? I started it 3 weeks ago. Because of knee issues, I will work my way into it as some things have been a bit difficult to perform, but now that I have the knee pillow, it seems to have alleviated that problem for now. I will now focus on gradually working myself forward further. Demanding? Maybe so, but the pain and the urge I have had for 3.5 yrs have been physically demanding too, and I refuse to give it any more attention it never deserved. As far as their acknowledgement toward trigger points, it's just their opinion. If you feel comfortable doing both, just do it. I have gotten some results from trigger point therapy, and I can't deny it that. My issues with Trigger Point Therapy is that it always seems temporary in my case. I don't think there will ever be an easy road out of this. The road is going to always be difficult and demanding. In my case, I feel I need to just suck it up and deal with the demanding issues until I get better. I have seen some improvements with DCT, but nothing permanent yet as I am still working my way into it, and I need more time to see any long term or permanent results. Just my 2 cents.

Admin Warning, April 2020

It has come to my attention that people promoting DCT are part of a money making scheme. The promoters of DCT are paying patients to promote the technique. Treat any reports of "success" with DCT with scepticism and extreme caution.
dct1.png
dct1.png (45.12 KiB) Viewed 1863 times
dct.png
dct.png (53.56 KiB) Viewed 1863 times
Age: 52 | Onset Age:49 (but I may have had warning signs 25 yrs earlier)| Symptoms: Pretty much all the usual suspects. Frequency, urgency, inability to always empty, burning and numbing uretheral, penile & perineum pain. Frequent urination at night.| Helped By: Internal PT. Myrbetriq helps but is by no means great. TENS to help sleep, and hand held massages of the lower back, hips and buttocks. Standing and physical labor help. Stretches and hot baths. Occasionally use gel iced pad on the perineum. Worsened By: Sitting (being sedentary), driving, sex, bowel movements, tight clothing and underwear. | Other comments: Currently trying L-Theanine
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Re: Dynamic Contraction Technique DCT Therapy thread

Post by webslave »

Please post your experiences and opinions of the DCT therapy option here.

"Dynamic Contraction Technique is a form of resistance stretching that is used to balance strength and flexibility in the body. "

I have not come to any conclusions about it myself, but one thing that occurred to me right away is that while this may work on the body's long muscles (such as those in the arms and legs etc), it would be difficulty or impossible to get the technique to work on muscles deep inside the pelvic floor.

It seems to be the creation of one man, Nic Bartolotta, a physical therapist. Note that "Dynamic Contraction Technique" is simply the name of his LLC (limited liability company).
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
ChgoGuy
Old Hand
Old Hand

Post by ChgoGuy »

It's too early for me to give an overall opinion of it. That would be unfair. But unless it's purely coincidental, I have been able to minimize or shut down a flareup in a short period of time before I leave for work in the morning. Since most of my bowel movements are first thing in the morning after getting up, I go into a flareup that could last an hour or 2 days. I do some of the DCT exercises after the bowel movement, and before I leave for work. The remaining exercises that I can do while at work, I just add them in when I have the time. I have seen a decrease in flareups or in their intensity during the 3 wks I have been doing the program. Until this weekend, I also was not able to do every exercise easily. So I will have to gradually introduce the rest of them. The program is not expensive IMHO at all, so it's well worth a shot considering most of what I have tried hasn't helped at all. I want to say this. It's not like you pay for the program and they leave you to do it on your own. You are in contact with other CPPS sufferers who have either done the program or are currently doing it. Mr. Bartolotta and mostly Mr. McCoid, who have put this program together, are very proactive with you while in the program. Mr. McCoid makes and/or answers dozens of comments a day from those in the program. They don't take your money and just hide. They are there to help you along the way. I was really surprised by this. If i asked Mr. McCoid 20 questions a day, he would answer all 20. I think what they are doing, is definitely worth a try for any CPPS sufferer. The doctors charge a lot more and have done nothing for me. So what do I have left to lose?
Age: 52 | Onset Age:49 (but I may have had warning signs 25 yrs earlier)| Symptoms: Pretty much all the usual suspects. Frequency, urgency, inability to always empty, burning and numbing uretheral, penile & perineum pain. Frequent urination at night.| Helped By: Internal PT. Myrbetriq helps but is by no means great. TENS to help sleep, and hand held massages of the lower back, hips and buttocks. Standing and physical labor help. Stretches and hot baths. Occasionally use gel iced pad on the perineum. Worsened By: Sitting (being sedentary), driving, sex, bowel movements, tight clothing and underwear. | Other comments: Currently trying L-Theanine
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

ChgoGuy, what specifically are the exercises for the pelvic floor, and how are they performed?

And what $price have you paid ?
ChgoGuy
Old Hand
Old Hand

Post by ChgoGuy »

$280 is the price.

I think it would not be right for me to discuss the exercises. There is a reason there is a price attached to it for which others and myself had to pay for that information. Over the years, I know you have had people ask "Why do Anderson and Wise charge so much for a trip to Stanford?" Because there was/is a lot of their time and effort they put into it for years. Time and effort have a price tag. This is why there is a price tag to visiting Stanford, or buying the book - A Headache in the Pelvis. I respect what and why there is a cost to what Anderson and Wise have done, and I have to give the same respect to Mr. McCoid and Bartolotta. If or when they decide to share the information freely, that is up to them. I feel there is a trust factor attached to the program, and I will not be the one to violate that trust. All I can say is that for $280, I've gotten a program, support, and more information that will hopefully help, then any doctor has given me in 3.5 yrs.
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

I thought you were paying for the support rather than the exercises, which seem to be freely available online:
https://vimeo.com/dct4health
WS1234
Experienced
Experienced

Post by WS1234 »

They have a DCT for Pelvic Pain program that sits behind a paywall (also gets you access to their support group where you can talk to the creators of the program if you have question, concerns etc). The videos in the link above are for Nic's generalized DCT program I think. The pelvic pain program is basically eccentric stretching of the major muscle groups around the pelvic floor (Hips/Psoas, Hamstrings, Glutes, Abdominals) not the pelvic floor itself. It's a more intense form of stretching - I actually work up a minor sweat. I am 3 weeks in, I feel stronger, but no real changes to my pain yet. Seems the expected duration of this program is 3-9 months, so its not a quick fix. I will update every so often.
Age: 32 | Onset Age: 29 | Symptoms: Urethral Pain/Irritation | Helped By: | Worsened By: | Other comments:
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

WS1234 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:15 pm The pelvic pain program is basically eccentric stretching of the major muscle groups around the pelvic floor (Hips/Psoas, Hamstrings, Glutes, Abdominals) not the pelvic floor itself.
Can't see how that's going to work :wtf:

Just to keep tabs on opinions here, I've collected some of the comments from other threads:
NathanDrake wrote:I was cured by resistance stretching called DCT. It’s hard work and takes a lot of dedication to change your body. The only way to undo concentrically caused tension is by eccentrically tensing the muscles.
eltenso wrote:I purchased the DCT course for Pelvic Floor dysfunction, but I gave up pretty soon. It is a really demanding regimen of exercises, and the fact that they don't consider trigger points seems iffy to me.
European
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by European »

There might be some reasoning behind their methodology, but I feel it is more "sportsman oriented" or how to say it...
Two questionable things in their approach: dismissal of trigger points (they are proven to be real) and unclear mental part of the regimen...
Age: 41 | Onset Age: 36 | Symptoms: Chronic pain in the penis, groin, pubic area and pelvic muscles, mainly ischiocavernosus area | Helped By: Elavil, PT | Worsened By: Stress, ejaculation, depression | Other comments:
WS1234
Experienced
Experienced

Post by WS1234 »

Yup, they are definitely dismissive of internal therapy, and it's a physical approach. I think it's worth a shot for those who have invested considerable time an effort in the WA approach but haven't seen results (which unfortunately includes me).
Age: 32 | Onset Age: 29 | Symptoms: Urethral Pain/Irritation | Helped By: | Worsened By: | Other comments:
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

European wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:15 am Two questionable things in their approach: dismissal of trigger points (they are proven to be real)
For some reason that I have not worked out yet, they refer to muscle "knots" and not trigger points. I suspect they are talking about trigger points, but why have they changed the terminology? Unless it's a commercial consideration (patents and/or gaining a unique marketing edge)...
European
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by European »

Yes, Mark, but they are not referring to press those "knots" for 30-60 seconds as usual etc....you cannot heal trigger points ("muscle knots") by mere stretching...
Age: 41 | Onset Age: 36 | Symptoms: Chronic pain in the penis, groin, pubic area and pelvic muscles, mainly ischiocavernosus area | Helped By: Elavil, PT | Worsened By: Stress, ejaculation, depression | Other comments:
NeoKortex88
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NeoKortex88 »

I am doing this too now and I am convinced they are genuinely trying to help and believe in their method. I still think triggerpoints exist but I will give DCT a try now for 6 months.
Age: 32| Onset Age: 30 | Symptoms: “Cured“ now, no symptoms. Symptoms were: 8/10 pain, couldn't sit, bleeding anus, ED, HF (tinnitus too from stress), Insomnia or CFS | Helped By: Stretching, foam roller, hot baths, sauna, tennis ball, antidepressants (acupuncture and fasting improved the tinnitus a lot) | Worsened By: stress, sitting, chronic masturbation but yeah mainly stress | Other comments:
eltenso
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Has anyone tried ketamine infusion

Post by eltenso »

ChgoGuy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:07 pm If I may ask, how long were you doing DCT before you gave up?
Thanks ChgoGuy for your response. I followed the DCT exercises routine for two or three weeks back in the last Fall. Obviously, that was not enough time, so I might give it a second try, and this time I will get the knee pillow, which I am sure will make things a lot easier. You are right: Bartolotta and McCoid are always there to support you (unlike David Wise, who does not do any kind of follow-up with the people who attend his clinic). But I still think that their focus on the physical aspect will not address my issue, which is mostly psychosomatic. This is why I have more hope ketamine infusion. Anyway, the DCT is a great workout. And yes: the road is not easy.
Age: 39 | Onset Age: Urinary symptoms since 34, testicular pain/chronic epididymitis since 30 | Symptoms: Hesitancy, disuria, nocturia, right testicular pain, right leg pain, pins and needles in scrotum, perinneal pain (less frequent) | Helped By: Probably hot weather, sitz baths, gabapentin | Worsened By: Ejaculation | Other comments:
ChgoGuy
Old Hand
Old Hand

Re: Has anyone tried ketamine infusion

Post by ChgoGuy »

eltenso - To be fair, I think there is some disagreement amongst those doing DCT, myself included. Many of those in the FB group feel the psychological aspect either doesn't exist or isn't important. I for one know what was going on in my life leading up to where I am today, and I can't deny that there was a lot of stress and internal conflict going on with me years, months and even weeks before. It can't just be coincidental, and the circumstances clearly are not the same for everybody. So I just agree to disagree with what others believe, and expect them to do the same with me. When you say the problem is psychosomatic for you, I believe you. But I still believe both the mind and the body feed off each other, and both need to be healed and addressed together.