Neuromodulation for Pelvic and Urogenital Pain

Latest research and happenings
ppp
Experienced
Experienced

Neuromodulation for Pelvic and Urogenital Pain

Post by ppp »

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6209873/

Sorry if this has been posted before but I didn't find it with a search.
The results - mostly from 2018 - are encouraging. They have tried it in a population of CPPS patients too.
Anyone tried it and has some experience? I wonder which providers can offer such treatment?
Age: 33| Onset Age: 24 | Symptoms: dull ache in pelvic area, tension, feeling the need to urinate, frequency, dribbling after urination, ED symptoms started 6 moths after the onset wrecking my life since, abdominal tension, tension in my thighs. | Helped By: stretching/massage , benzos | Worsened By: Mainly sex, but also sitting and anxiety| Other comments: I have seen periods of substantially less flare-ups, but now I am at a steady state where it comes back almost always after sex.
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Re: Neuromodulation for Pelvic and Urogenital Pain

Post by webslave »

Our conclusion is that peripheral neuromodulation, such as PTNS, SNM, or pudendal nerve stimulation, should be considered in patients whose pain is refractory to medication
That's not my conclusion! If medications fail, there are quite a few things you can do before trying neuromodulation. Written by neurosurgeons, so no surprises there. Paper also rehashes the debunked "pudendal nerve entrapment" theory :roll: — studies of cadavers prove that all pudendal nerves are "entrapped".
https://www.ucpps.men/pude ... pment-pne/

Fact is that these treatments have been available for a decade (e.g. PTNS) and nobody has reported a success here
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
ppp
Experienced
Experienced

Post by ppp »

I see. Too bad. I am running out of options and my life has been miserable. So I was hoping for something new to come out.

I want to mention two things that could be coincidental, Grateful for your thoughts...

- A chiropractor used to use electrical muscle stimulator on me and during that period I felt better. I assumed it was a coincidence.

- I went for neurofeedback for a different condition one day when my CPPS pain was 8/10. Miserable day, was considering postponing the appointment. I sat there, and I have never seen my pain go from 8 to zero within half an hour. I also did not make much of this. Have you seen any experiences with neuro feedback?
Age: 33| Onset Age: 24 | Symptoms: dull ache in pelvic area, tension, feeling the need to urinate, frequency, dribbling after urination, ED symptoms started 6 moths after the onset wrecking my life since, abdominal tension, tension in my thighs. | Helped By: stretching/massage , benzos | Worsened By: Mainly sex, but also sitting and anxiety| Other comments: I have seen periods of substantially less flare-ups, but now I am at a steady state where it comes back almost always after sex.
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

Electrical muscle stimulators could conceivably affect spasms, and regarding neurofeedback, best to use the search function to see how others have fared.
search.php?keywords=neurofeedback
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
ppp
Experienced
Experienced

Post by ppp »

OK as far as I can see these are mostly (positive) reports by Carld who was on the site for a while. Maybe I missed a couple of posts. Unfortunately not many data points it seems :/
NeoKortex88
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NeoKortex88 »

Muscle tension treatment is in my humble opinion the most scientific approach to treat pelvic pain to this date. Its not a magic bullet though and lots of hard work in front of you.
Age: 32| Onset Age: 30 | Symptoms: “Cured“ now, no symptoms. Symptoms were: 8/10 pain, couldn't sit, bleeding anus, ED, HF (tinnitus too from stress), Insomnia or CFS | Helped By: Stretching, foam roller, hot baths, sauna, tennis ball, antidepressants (acupuncture and fasting improved the tinnitus a lot) | Worsened By: stress, sitting, chronic masturbation but yeah mainly stress | Other comments: