Celebrex study for inflammation

Latest research and happenings
gmccormack
Veteran
Veteran

Celebrex study for inflammation

Post by gmccormack »

The study is pretty new (Oct 2009), thought some might be interested. Too long to post the whole thing
here's the link http://www.scielo.br/pdf/bjmbr/v42n10/7663.pdf

There's a pretty straightforward table to check out the responders

The quote that everyone is looking for:
"We conclude that therapy with celecoxib is well tolerated
and provides a significant improvement in men with
difficult CP/CPPS."

I know there has been talk about Celebrex before but didn't see anything recent in the research forum.
Age: | Onset Age: | Symptoms: | Helped By: | Worsened By: | Other comments:
carld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Celebrex study for inflammation

Post by carld »

I have done my fair share of NSAID like mobic and Aleve (naproxen) which are classical cox-1 and cox-2 inhibitors where Celebrex is a targeted cox-2 only...But you still have the possibility of gastro problems in the long run right? This is where the study gets confusing???

In the end it possibly treats the symptoms and not the cause...Not sure I agree with this study after all I have been through with NSAID...even though celebrex is a different targeted class cox-2 only...and I have never tried it...Although it has crossed my mind many times in the early days as did Vioxx as well and we know what happened there( heart attacks)...But in saying that, I think this is an interesting find. :smile:

Best
I am not a medical doctor. Please fill out your signature (click here) ☼ ☼ My Starter List for new members
I encourage anxiety prone UCPPS people to consider L-Theanine
Age, 44 onset age 37 Feb 2006 Freq. need to urinate. Sensation of having to urinate soon after going. Perineum discomfort/burning/tightness, pubic area discomfort @ times,poor urine stream, post urine dripping/spray. All symptoms have improved with my protocol. At the worst I give it a 1 to 2 on irritation and discomfort and frequency. Helps: Elavil 5mg for anxiety and mast cell protection, (will only take it as needed) self internal PT as needed, stretching, walking, stairmaster cardio workout and light weights, reducing stress, moment to moment relaxation, deep breathing relaxation and using a Theracane. Makes worse: sitting for long periods, stress, over focusing on it. Currently 95%-98% recovered. Stay positive, relaxed and control your anxiety.
gmccormack
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gmccormack »

At this point I agree with the general medical community trying to treat the symptoms rather than the cause. The etiology is so complex, let us first find really good drugs to treat symptoms then we can move on to etiology. In addition, if you break the symptoms with drugs there is a chance when you ween off them your symptoms do not return.

With the Celebrex, I have no opinion, just something I found...
Age: | Onset Age: | Symptoms: | Helped By: | Worsened By: | Other comments:
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

It's true that if you can quell symptoms for long enough, it aids in healing just by giving the nerves a rest and stopping the constant noxious feedback loop.

However, that said, there are gastric irritation/bleeding problems with NSAIDs, as well as the scare about Vioxx and the possible heart problems with Celebrex too:
Soon after, in December 2004, it emerged that another Cox-2 inhibitor - Pfizer's Celebrex (celecoxib) - might triple the risk of heart attacks and stroke, although other studies found no additional risk and the drug was not withdrawn.
(BTW, when Vioxx was tried on men with UCPPS, it was not much different to placebo).
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
graeme
Old Hand
Old Hand

Post by graeme »

Have been on Celebrex for this condition and did nothing for me no improvement on symptoms at all !!
Age:33 | Onset Age:19 | Symptoms:burning urethra, deep sore stinging around the perineum, dribbling | Helped By:when flare starts deep relaxing over a toilet to let out dribbling urine, hot bath, rubbing a heat cream on the perineum, Tens with a pad on the perineum, running, medication (solpadol) for pain. Current treatment: PT. | Worsened By:sitting, stressing over it, ejaculation, sometimes alcohol but I risk it. Been feeling a lot better last 6 months about 85% with a few flares lasting about 5 days. No longer having PT. Stretching every other night and I believe time is also a big factor for me